Sophie and I drove down to the snow. It was the first day of the school holidays in Spring. I left in the morning and it was the best road trip I have done for a while. No traffic slowing me down and Sophie was having a lot of fun with my telephone. We stopped at a rest stop and had an explore. When looking at a dam and a bridge we heard a frog that sounded like a fart. Sophie initially thought it was me, but it kept happening - frog it was.
We stopped and had pancakes for lunch, hired skis and drove onward to Thredbo. The house we stayed in was 5 min walk from friday flat chairlifts in ski boots. It being spring, there was no snow except manmade at the bottom. It was quite a lovely place and a lot of fun.
It being school holidays there were some kids activities around the place. There was a toboggan hill (which ended in the tennis court), and an inflatable slide where Sophie, Ollie and Tobin had great times going down. Some big boys seemed to be using it to practice flips and jumps for their snowboards.
I, and Ian, had goes, it was fun. Sophie loved it. Ollie was tobagganing to his hearts content as well. Bouncy castles always get the kids in.
Sophie spent two days in Thredboland ski school. She enjoyed the days. I watch part of one lesson and saw Sophie walking down the hill, with a 10m ski. Because she was in a group of 8 kids it took a very long time and I got bored. So I went and continued skiing on the rest of the mountain. It was very slushy, and the best skiing was in the morning when it was cooler and the runs were groomed. Carving turns down the hill. Sophie really liked the Thredboland train (adapted skidoo) which took her up the hill. But mostly Sophie liked skiing with Dad.
We had lots of fun in the afternoons as well. Sitting around talking and playing games. The kids were playing all sorts of games and had created their own cubby under the stairs.
After two days of Sophie Skiing (three for me) Sophie and I skied together on Friday flat, up and down a bit. I was very proud of how well she did and how much she had learnt. I was having soo much fun skiing with Sophie. We had some good conversations on the chairlift as well.
All in all a very successful ski trip. I got some skiing in, Sophie had a great time skiing and we got some skiing in together. Sophie was really good and I am looking forward to doing it again.
I know i should be working but watching my niece ski like a champion is so much more fun! what a winner! And looking cooler than school with the suspenders hanging down... lucky for Dunc that she seems to be enjoying it!
ReplyDeleteLove the video making too... "safety door" song and unicorn... me happy for a day now... CANT WAIT till December!!
Aunty Dote
I am so impressed ..!!!!!! Sophie is obviously born to it, Duncan!! It looks as though you both had a great time xxxxxx Love Nannie Judy xx
ReplyDelete