Monday, January 21, 2013

The arrival of Philippa Jade

After years of waiting and trying and incubating, Pip arrived very quickly. On Saturday when Sarah and cousins arrived, I was hot, tired, emotional and uncomfortable. 11 weeks of  Braxton Hicks contractions whenever I was active and nearly a week over due, I was really over it.
Sunday morning was when it all started. I woke with contraction around 5 but tried to snooze reckoning I had a big day ahead of me. I could here the early rises playing games quietly at the kitchen table. Duncan had slept on the couch because I had insisted on a fan that night. I got up at 6 and told him to have a nap in the bedroom because things were happening.

Proud Daddy with Pip on day one.
The contractions were getting more intense but about the same time apart and not very long. By 7, I told Duncan to have breakfast and make some lunch, thinking that I still had hours to go. I call the birth centre but got the answering machine so I got in the shower for a little pain relief. The birth centre call back while I was in there and said we should come in. Duncan packed the car and I tried to get dressed. That's when my waters broke. With the next contraction, I realised that I wasn't going anywhere in the car. Time to call the ambulance.
The kids were distracted in the the front room with electronics. Sarah was great, rubbing my back and telling me to breathe. Duncan was busy meeting my demands. The Ambulance guys arrived in about 5 min and I was already crowning. I could tell exactly where Pip was, even without the encouragement down the business. She was born by 8:15. All pink and sticky and smiles.

Sophie's first picture of Pip.

One of the ambulance office had 12 years experience but had never been present at a birth. Apparently he  had a check list he was following. Sarah was keeping an I on him. We headed into the hospital after she had started feeding. We had all the medical checks and shots and an afternoon nap before we came home again in the afternoon.

It has been wonderful being at home this week with the chaos of the cousins, friends and family around to help, good food and a comfortable bed. We are all enamoured with Philippa and are trying to remember all the things you have to do with a small baby. 

Cuddles with cousins.
Mutual admiration - Sophie gets the biggest smiles.

With (nearly) all the Aunties



1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful girl!!!!!! You would think she had been here before ....xxxx

    ReplyDelete